Weekend Ventures (Respite)
What is Weekend Ventures?
Weekend Ventures is a weekend (or overnight) respite program that takes place six times each year. Depending on the weekend, we stay overnight one or two nights at a hotel or a camp. Each weekend has one main activity that the group does together.
When and where do the weekends take place?
- The first weekend of the calendar year is in the beginning of February. It is a one-night stay at a hotel in Bloomington, enjoying a pool party and board game night.
- The second weekend is in the beginning of March. It is a two-night stay at a hotel in Bloomington and includes spending the day on Saturday at the Mall of America.
- The third weekend is in the beginning of June. It is a two-night stay at a hotel in Bloomington, going to Valleyfair (rain or shine) for Saturday.
- The fourth weekend is at the end of August. It is a two-night stay at Camp Eden Wood in Eden Prairie or at Leech Lake in Northern Minnesota, and time is spent roasting marshmallows, playing games, watching movies, and much more.
- The fifth weekend is in October. It is another one-night stay at a hotel in Bloomington, with a pool party and board game night.
- The sixth weekend is in the beginning of December. It is a two-night stay at a hotel in Downtown Minneapolis and includes seeing a play at the Children’s Theater on Saturday as well as going out to eat.
Each weekend begins with check-in at 6:00 p.m. on Friday and ends with check-out at 10:00 a.m. on either Saturday or Sunday, depending on the number of overnights. When the group is not participating in the main activity of the weekend, time is spent getting to know each other, playing games, doing crafts, and watching movies. Reach does not provide dinner on Friday night, but will always provide snacks and drinks as well as meals, if applicable. Individuals are asked to pay for their lunch when we are out in the community for the MOA, Valleyfair, and Downtown weekends.
How big is the group?
We never have more than 12 participants for a given weekend.
What age group do you serve?
Weekend Ventures is for individuals ages 18 and up, but most of the attendees are adults.
How many staff work the weekends?
Each weekend has a staff to participant ratio of approximately 1:2. For example, if the weekend was maxed out at 12 participants, there would be six staff working the weekend. All staff are 245D certified and one staff distributes all medication as needed. Our staff are very experienced and decide room assignments based on common interests, community independence levels, and personal care needs.
What are the costs of the weekend and how do I pay?
For the weekends that have two overnights, the out of pocket cost is $850. The weekends that involve just one overnight cost $400. All planned activities and most meal costs are included in these registration fees, which can be paid out of pocket or with a waiver (CDCS, DD, CADI). Participants bring extra money for food when we are out and about on three of the six weekends (MOA, Valleyfair & Downtown). If you are paying with a traditional waiver (not CDCS), a separate intake meeting must be set up to complete necessary paperwork at least two months prior to the scheduled weekend.
I am interested in signing up. How do I do so?
To register for a weekend, please email our Assistant Director of Adaptive Recreation & Inclusion, Jessie Hartrick, firstname.lastname@example.org. She will send you the necessary paperwork to register for the weekend, which must be completed and sent back prior the registration deadline. Any additional questions can also be sent to Jesse, or you can call her at 952-393-4277. We ask that all Weekend Ventures participants be registered at least four weeks prior to the scheduled weekend. Click here to pay your deposit online.
What is the deposit policy?
Registration for Weekend Ventures requires a deposit to hold your place. Your deposit is due at the time of registration. The deposit is 50% of the program fee. For individuals paying out of pocket: The other 50% of your program fee is due 30 days prior to the first program date. For individuals paying with waiver funding: Only one deposit is required when signing up for programs. Your waiver will be billed after attending the weekend. After you attend the weekend, you may choose to have your deposit refunded to you, or transfer it to another weekend you plan to attend. You do NOT need to pay multiple deposits at one time, only one deposit for the year (see above). Click here to pay your deposit online.
What is your policy on registration and cancellations for Weekend Ventures programming?
Due to staffing demands, supply costs, and hotel room costs, we require all Weekend Ventures registrations to be confirmed four weeks prior to the first day of the program. Late registrations (within a four-week window) may be accepted if there is space in the program. Cancellations that are made with less than four weeks’ notice will incur a fine of 50% of the out-of-pocket program costs. This will not be covered by the waiver.